Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sure You Can


"We can't play with them! They will kill us. I don't want to play. This is stupid."

Those are some of the comments I heard last night at soccer practice when I told my son's team that we were going to practice with the older guys team. You should have heard the whining! I thought I was going to have to call the "Wambulance"! Waaaah! Waaah!

I quickly gathered them around and told them that they needed to quit talking like that. There was absolutely no reason for them to act that way or talk like that. I told them that they were going to talk themselves out of playing well and that they were just convincing themselves that they were not good enough to play with those guys (who, by the way, were only like a year or maybe two older).

If you tell yourself that you can't do something there is a really good chance that you won't do it. If you tell yourself that you are not good enough then you will most likely perform at a level lower than what you truly are capable of.

So What?

Quit discounting yourself. Don't talk yourself out of something before you even attempt it. You are an awesome creation with great skills and abilities. And, if you are a follower of Christ, you have His power in you. Get in there and work hard. You may find yourself in situations where you feel like the odds are against you but you can still do your best. And your best is all anyone can expect from you.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13 (New Living Translation)

BTW...our guys did great!

No comments: