Monday, July 21, 2008

The O'Jays Knew


Way back in the early 70's these guys did a song that seems to me was way before it's time. I don't remember much about the 70's except for the great music, but when most of us think 70's we don't think of money and affluence. Maybe there were some significant greed things going on then. I don't know. But I do know that the message of that song is "right on" today.

It was big fun yesterday to talk about money and putting it in its proper place. I really enjoyed being able to talk freely and candidly about our obsession with money and our possessions. It was refreshing to hear from so many of you already who said how much you needed to hear what God had to say about the topic. I even had some "cheerleaders" in the crowd. That was cool.

But here is the best thing of all. When it all boils down, Jesus and Paul both said the same thing" Put God first and He will take care of the rest (see Matthew 6:33 and 1 Timothy 6:6). I just wonder why so many of us have such a hard time with it. Why can't we get this one thing straight? Maybe it's out culture. Maybe it's our upbringing. Maybe it's our relationships. Maybe it's our beliefs. Maybe it's all of the above.

I'm not sure but this I do know. As the blind man told the religious leaders of the day after Jesus healed him, "All I know is I was bind and now I see." All I know is when we put God first, He takes care of the rest. If you really need any proof, ask Ray. Coincidence? I don't think so. Providence? Abso-stinkin-lutely. After Ray made a commitment to put God first in his life on Wednesday evening, Thursday morning he was given a substantial financial gift from his boss. Totally unexpected and totally out of character but totally just like God.

Now I am not saying that when you put God first in your life that you are going to receive a financial gift. You might. Ray did. But I do know this: He will meet all of your needs. As a lady in our Neighborhood Group said last night, "Every time I give as God leads me, I get more back. I don't expect it and it's not the reason I give, but it happens every time."

People don't let money, don't let money change you. - O'Jays 1974

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our family guideline for making decisions concerning money is pretty simple -

"People are more important than things."

We have found that that little phrase can be applied to almost any financial decision that we have ever had to make.

It ought to work pretty good for making decisions about business and even church spending too.