Monday, February 11, 2008

I Made a Mistake


Yesterday afternoon I got a call from a friend who asked me about our service yesterday morning. This person calls me every week to see how things are going and just to encourage and rejoice with me and all of us at Midtowne Church.

Here was my mistake. He asked, "How was it today?" To which I jokingly replied, "Oh just another day at Midtowne. Huge crowd, another baptism, great worship, and decent preaching."

Now my friend knew I was only joking and we went on to talk about how amazing it is that God is working the way He is in and through us. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that what I said is a very dangerous thing. I pray that we NEVER get comfortable with what God is doing at Midtowne Church. That we NEVER become complacent and just expect things to rock along smoothly as we serve Him. May we NEVER think that we deserve His blessings on our ministry.

Don't get me wrong. That was not my mindset but I want to be careful to not fall in to that trap. Do I expect God to show up? Yes. Do I expect our ministry to make an impact? Yes. But It is not because we deserve it nor because we are making it happen. We have God's favor right now and I pray that it NEVER leaves us. I do believe that it can especially if we become comfortable and complacent.

So thank God for what HE is doing at Midtowne Church. Praise Him for His faithfulness to us. Thank Him for the blessings He gives. It's all about Him, not us. I am excited about what HE is going to continue to do in and through us but I pray that I never get used to it. May He always surprise and excite us with His work.

No comments: