Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Taking a Chance


If there's any doubt, don't.

I guess I've said that a million times to people. What I mean is this. If you are trying to make a decision and you feel some uncertainty in the direction you are going, don't go that way.

Now don't misunderstand me. I don't think we are always given an extremely clear answer or direction at first. However, I have found that for me, the doubt is an answer in itself. There is always some anxiety or uncertainty. There is always a little risk and some trepidation. But when there is that feeling of "I don't really know what to do," I would say keep searching. Keep looking. Keep praying. Keep asking. (I think I read that somewhere.)

Once you decide a direction, go for it. Even if it turns out wrong, at least you have an answer: That was wrong. I would rather take a chance and be wrong than just sit and worry and wait and never do anything. Taking that risk and gaining some perspective is another step in the right direction. As Thomas Edison said after failing over a thousand times at finding the right material to use as the filament for his light bulb, "I didn't want to give up because for every one that was wrong, I was one step closer to the one that was right."

Take a chance. As long as no one gets hurt, you stand to gain.

No comments: